Guiding Eyes for the Blind is known for embracing every person connected with the school as a family member and for the collective spirit of its staff. We offer challenging and fulfilling career paths for those who are passionate about our work and mission. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a dog-friendly work environment.
To apply for an open position, please send a cover letter and resume to:
Director of Human Resources
Guiding Eyes for the Blind
611 Granite Springs Rd.
Yorktown Heights, NY 10598
email (preferred method) email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Instructor Assistant position is an entry-level position to introduce individuals to the guide dog field and prepare them for a professional career as a Guiding Eyes Instructor. The positions are at our training center in Yorktown Heights, NY. Duties include kennel cleaning, general dog care, and assisting instructors, veterinary hospital staff, and our blind and visually impaired students. This physically demanding, full time position includes working one night per week, some weekends and some holidays. Candidates must have a valid driver’s license and be able to handle and control 60-70 pound dogs and withstand up to two hours of repetitive bending, stooping, kneeling and squatting on concrete surfaces. Previous experience with basic canine obedience training with a personal pet or through volunteer or work experience is desirable. College degree preferred. Starting salary $30,000.
VICE PRESIDENT FINANCE
Salary & Benefits: $130-150k depending upon experience, 4 weeks vacation, employer paid medical, dental, term life, long term disability and vision insurance.
Position Summary: Reporting to the President and serving as a member of the senior management team, the Vice President of Finance is responsible for day-to-day financial management, audit compliance, adherence to general accounting principles, planning and preparation of annual budgets across the organization. The position is responsible for implementing organization-wide financial systems to monitor and report on operating expenses, statements of cash flows and is accountable for transparent stewardship of donor funds. In addition, the Vice President will be responsible for developing budget summary schedules, reports and providing all necessary information for the board finance and audit committees, external auditors, banks, and all other external parties that require financial information.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the finance team. Managing work allocation, training, and problem resolution.
- Prepare annual operating budget
- Lead financial audits and ensure conformance with all audit requirements
- Collaborate with tax consultants in preparing annual Federal and State not-for-profit filings, including the IRS990
- Collaborate with consultants in preparing annual Pension Plan 5500 and PBGC filings
- Serve as the management liaison to the Board Finance and Audit Committees, prepare advance materials and present financial reports for Board and committee meetings.
- Coordinate with the Human Resource Director on annual medical insurance renewals and pension plan administration
- Manage annual property, workers compensation, liability and fiduciary insurance renewals
- Periodically sign checks, and reviews/sign bequest releases
- Provide operating reports to department heads and review variances.
- Improve administrative and operational accounting processes through the adoption of upgrades to software and services as needed
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior management role ideally with both external audit and in-house financial management experience gained in a non-profit -growth organization with at least $20m in operating budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance mandatory. MBA is preferred.
- CPA preferred
- Must be an effective manager of people and process with strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines without direct supervision
- Team player with a “roll up your sleeves” style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in financial management software Microsoft Great Plains preferred
- Must be comfortable around large, active dogs.
The above job description is intended to be a general description of the requirements and duties of this position. It is one of inclusion, not exclusion. Any Guiding Eyes for the Blind employee must be willing to perform tasks not specified within their job description, so long as those tasks are in the best interests of Guiding Eyes for the Blind and are tasks which the individual is capable of performing