Home Foster a Guide Dog in Training
We are looking for local families or individuals who would welcome one of our exceptional dogs into their homes and provide a safe and loving environment. As a HOME FOSTER, you will drop off the dog you are caring for at the Yorktown Training School (Yorktown Heights, NY) each Monday through Friday. The dog will spend their day training with their Guide Dog Mobility Instructor (GDMI) and be available for pick up to return to your home each evening. HOME FOSTERS will have the opportunity to learn basic dog behavior and training from our Guide Dog Mobility Instructor staff. Veterinary care, dog food and supplies will be provided.
Please join our family of volunteers, knowing that the Guide Dog-in-Training you foster in your home, will bring independence, confidence, companionship and freedom to a blind or visually impaired person in the future.
If you live locally to our Yorktown, NY campus, we hope you will consider becoming a Home Foster volunteer. Please read through the important information and Program Manual provided below, to make an informed decision. We’re also available to talk through any questions you may have, so please feel free to contact our Volunteer Manager at email@example.com.
Home Fosters must:
- be able to transport the dog to the Yorktown campus, Monday through Friday during the hours of 6:30AM – 8:30AM.
- be able to pick up the dog at the Yorktown campus, Monday through Friday during the hours of 4:30PM – 6:30PM.
- provide a safe and loving environment evenings and weekends.
- be able to commit to a period of two to four months
- be physically capable of handling a 50-70 lb. dog
- be able to provide proof of updated vaccines for any dogs in your household.
- keep the dog leashed at all times when outside.
- attend a 2 hour training session.
Home Foster Application
Thank you for your interest! Before applying to volunteer as a Home Foster, please review the Requirements and Home Foster Manual provided above.
Home Foster Volunteer Application