We offer hands-on seminars to Orientation and Mobility Specialists and O&M students in training.
These seminars are designed to enable participants to:
- Identify and advise clients who are considering a guide dog
- Prepare clients who will be training with guide dogs
- Work more effectively with clients who have guide dogs
- Gain a thorough understanding of what guide dogs and guide dog training are about
During the seminar you’ll learn about:
- Guide dog training techniques
- Street crossings
- Patterning and conditioning for specific travel objectives
- Common Dos and Don’ts of guide dog travel
- How we make great matches between people and guide dogs
Each participant will get to work with a senior Guide Dog Instructor and will walk both sighted and under blindfold with the dog in harness.
The on-site seminar also includes time with instructors, specialized and admissions staff, and earns certified O&M specialists ACVREP-approved CE units.
Seminar groups have up to eight participants.
On-site seminars are held between April and November.
We can also bring our seminar to your agency or college if you have a minimum of five O&M professionals or students who wish to participate.