How to prepare? What to pack? The answers to these important questions can be found here. And don’t worry about missing anything. A staff member will call you a week before class to make sure you’re all set.
What to Bring
- Medical insurance card
- One month’s supply of medical supplies and prescriptions
- Personal toiletries
- Money – cash and credit cards
- Easily transportable hobby equipment and reading material
- Recording equipment if you wish to record lectures (We have an online library of both documents and recorded lectures for graduates to refer to. Most students choose not to record lectures.)
- Clothes, including wet weather gear, and comfortable shoes
- A backpack, shoulder bag or fanny pack
- Dog harness (returning students only)
Bed linen and towels are provided.
What to Wear
Our school is a pretty informal place, and our classes our held outside in all weather, so it’s a good idea to bring:
- Winter: coats, hats, gloves, long underwear, etc.; summer: T-shirts and shorts
- Shoes for all terrain (sneakers or walking shoes are ideal)
- A backpack, shoulder bag, or fanny pack (you’ll need both hands free to work with your guide dog)
- We have a laundry at the school, so you won’t need to bring 26 pairs of socks!
It is best if you arrive conditioned to walk regularly before entering our program. We’ll be doing a lot of walking. You will be required to walk routes of up to one mile in length, twice a day. Some routes cover hilly terrain; some have broken sidewalks.
There is an exercise room available at the training center. We also have tandem bicycles available for use during free time. Consult with your physician before starting any exercise program.
We have a full-time nursing staff who can assist you with routine medical needs, but you are expected to independently manage your health.
What to bring:
- Medical insurance card
- One month’s supply of all prescription medications, insulin, syringes, or other medical equipment. (Be sure to pack your medications in your carry-on luggage if you are traveling by plane.)
- Any over-the-counter medications you expect to need
If you have a medically restricted diet, please email a copy of your dietary requirements to the Nurse Manager, email@example.com. If you require injections and need assistance, a registered nurse is available at the school every morning and late afternoon. If you have a significant health problem, the Nurse Manager may ask you to be examined by a Guiding Eyes consulting physician soon after your arrival, at Guiding Eyes’ expense. You would be responsible for paying for subsequent diagnoses or treatments.
- We’ll mail you luggage tags if you’re traveling by plane or train.
- You are responsible for making sure your luggage is in the Guiding Eyes van before departing from the airport for the Training Center.
- Please don’t bring footlockers or trunks.
- Pack an empty gym bag, or leave room in your suitcase to accommodate the extra items that you will be bringing home: an 8-pound bag of dry dog food, grooming brush, and medication, and souvenirs or optional dog supplies you purchase.
- You’ll need a little bit of money to purchase small personal items, candy, soda, and other incidentals, as well as extra dog equipment, some veterinary supplies, extra photographs, and souvenirs. We recommend bringing some cash.
- Guiding Eyes accepts American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.
- Change is available from the Reception Office Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Your travel expenses and arrangements are paid for and managed by Guiding Eyes. We will review travel arrangements with you by phone before they are finalized.
- By Plane or Train: Guiding Eyes will meet you at the airport or train station and will bring you to the Training Center.
- New York City Residents: If you are not able to use public transportation to the Training Center, Guiding Eyes will arrange for your transportation door-to-door.
Do not bring valuables to the Training Center. Extra money may be locked in the school safe. The desk in your room has a privacy lock.
For Returning Students: Your Harness
Guiding Eyes will issue you a new harness. Please return your old harness prior to arrival, via mail, or when you arrive for training.