Guiding Eyes for the Blind is known for embracing every person connected with the school as a family member and for the collective spirit of its staff. We offer challenging and fulfilling career paths for those who are passionate about our work and mission. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a dog-friendly work environment.
Guiding Eyes for the Blind provides guide dogs to people with vision loss. We are passionate about connecting exceptional dogs with individuals for greater independence. Guiding Eyes for the Blind is dedicated to creating and supporting life-changing connections between people and dogs.
At our facilities in Yorktown Heights, NY, and Patterson, NY, we breed, raise, and train exceptional dogs. Then we connect them to people who are seeking increased freedom and independence, so that together, they can experience all kinds of life adventures.
Title: Full Time Whelping Kennel Technician
Location: Patterson, New York
Reports To: Whelping Kennel Manager
Work Hours: Saturday – Wednesday with Sunday as a late night
In the event of a whelp or critical care issue on your late night, you will be required to spend the night caring for the brood and newborn pups.
- Provide a high level of animal husbandry care to all dogs and puppies including but no limited to bathing, feeding, check overs, nail clipping, ear cleaning, and medicating according to established policies and procedures.
- Monitor birthing process to ensure health and safety of the pups and adults. Perform whelping procedures, assisting brood whenever necessary. Handle all post whelp clean-up, care, and treatments.
- Time management of workload using computer task list.
- Maintain accurate records utilizing point of entry system.
- Perform assigned medical treatments, vaccines, preventatives, sub-q fluids, tube feeding, ICU use and care, according to standard procedures.
- Clean and maintain equipment, kennel facilities and assigned grounds.
- Effectively work with pups in early obedience and socialization.
- Good interpersonal skills. Work with staff, volunteers, and general public, who are interacting with the Whelping Kennel providing support, guidance, and recognition.
- Detail oriented
- Able to follow instruction
- Good judgement
- Able to multitask
- Must be comfortable around large, active dogs
- Dependable and reliable
- People-oriented – enjoys interacting with people
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Deidre Hannigan, HR Generalist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F, D/V
Must be authorized to work in the United States.